Website Upload of Clock Tower
The clock tower was erected by Cwmbran Urban District Council outside the Council House in 1936 as a memorial to the men of Cwmbran who were killed in the Great War 1914-1918.
The inscription on the north side of the clock tower reads:
THIS CLOCK TOWER WAS ERECTED BY
THE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL OF CWMBRAN
W.E.BROWN, C.C., J.P. Chairman
WILLIAM CLARK, Clerk
The inscription on the south side of the clock tower reads
IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF CWMBRAN WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918
“Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends”
John xv. 13
Through the Years
This is the ceremony where hundreds of people watched the unveiling of the electric clock tower in June 1936. Mrs Annie Kelly of the Cwmbran British women’s temperance society was chosen to unveil the clock.
This picture is from the early 1950s. The Building on the right was a police station but is now home to the Cwmbran Community council.
Inevitably though, age and weathering took its toll on the clock and several years ago the clock completely stopped working.
In 2007 the clock tower and plaque were taken down for a complete £17,000 refurbishment courtesy of Cwmbran Regeneration Partnership who aim to care for the older aspects of the area. The clock tower was back working. A large gathering of residents attended the ceremony on the 7th of September at precisely 7pm to commemorate the refurbished clock and all that it means.
The Clock tower has now been up 77 years acting as a reminder to all those who pass by that many great men and women lost there lives during the Great War. It is owned and maintained by Torfaen County Borough Council.