Cwmbran Community Council provides services for the whole community, from the very young through to our senior citizens. Here are some examples:
- Our Summer Playschemes are one of our ‘flagship’ services for our youngest clients. The Playschemes provide weeks of summer fun for children of primary school age, in a safe, supervised environment. Our professional staff provide a range of activities such as arts & crafts, sports, drama and games. The children also take the opportunity to raise funds for charities such as Ty Hafan
- Cwmbran Centre for Young People provides drop-in facilities and much more besides to young people from the whole Cwmbran area. Collaborative working with various councils and agencies has seen the centre turn into a lively and highly-regarded ‘oasis’ for young people with good advice, projects and schemes available throughout the week.
- Cwmbran Community Council’s Community Task Scheme provides a valued gardening and interior decorating services to all, but particularly to older and/or less able folks who can no longer do the work themselves. This scheme is highly regarded and enables many people to retain a measure of independence and remain in their homes without the worry of untidy gardens or poor interior decoration.
- Cwmbran Community Council’s core grants are always well-received in the community. Some valuable ‘core funding’ grants are made each year to local organisations such as Torfaen Citizens Advice Bureau, the Congress Theatre and the Cwmbran Big Event.
- The Council also makes general grants to local voluntary organisations every year to enable them to pursue their objectives. The Council is especially proud to have been able to support many local organisations over the years.
- Our busy Events & Community Projects Committee organises and oversees events which are enjoyed by all ages. Our Schools Choral Festivals provide children from our junior and senior schools the chance to perform on stage before a live audience while events such as our Christmas entertainment programme are enjoyed by young and old alike. We also support events organised by others in the community, such as the annual Remembrance Day Parade.
- The Council’s Environmental Awareness & Planning Committee considers matters of planning and environmental interest, representing local views and taking them forward. The Council also holds an “Eco Quiz” each year – an enjoyable evening of friendly combat/camaraderie as our local primary schools do battle for the coveted trophy.
- Our annual Community Awards Scheme recognises those unsung heroes in the community who have given up their time for others or overcome adversity. Recipients are acknowledged at an a Presentation Evening.
- Finally, Cwmbran Community Council owns its own premises in the Cwmbran Village area. Formerly a local police station, The Council House provides a good office environment for Cwmbran Community Council members and staff. We rent out our first floor offices to local organisations and allow some of our ground floor rooms and small community centre to the rear to be hired. The income from these arrangements helps keep the Council’s costs down.Edit